CLEAR = Cancer, Lifestyle & Evaluation of Risk
We need lifestyle information from 10,000 participants: 5000 people recently diagnosed with cancer, and, if applicable, 5000 partners. This is our goal, and your input is crucial!
With 10,000 questionnaires completed we aim to investigate many different types of cancer, to provide a better understanding of the causes of cancer in NSW and how these differ in different cultural groups.
Participants are requested to provide an optional blood sample. Combined with the information gained from the questionnaire, the CLEAR study can test current and future gene-environment interactions, which may lead to developing cancer.
Key elements for evaluation are:
- Physical activity
- Alcohol consumption
- Reproductive history
- Screening behaviour
- Certain dietary patterns
Where will this lead us?
- With 10,000 participants on study, results for cancers of the colon and rectum, prostate, breast and lung, melanoma and non-Hodgkin lymphoma will be available.
- When participation reaches 25,000, enough information will be available to assess the effects of the various genetic and lifestyle factors on the risk of developing liver, thyroid, ovarian and pancreatic cancers.
Let’s help prevent and reduce cancer together. This is your chance to make a difference in the fight against all cancers.
Ultimately, the results of the CLEAR Study will:
- Enable public health bodies to make better decisions about how best to prevent cancer
- Provide a better understanding of the multi-factorial causes of cancer in NSW and how these differ in different cultural groups
- Support better decision-making and prediction of outcomes
If you are interested in participating in the CLEAR study, please click here.